Francesc Torres Iturrioz
The first stage of the educational course at the French School and then continued his training graphic artist at the Massana School and at the Faculty of Fine Arts in Barcelona, while working as an apprentice in his father's print shop.
El 1967 they moved to Paris where he continues his apprenticeship at the Ecole des Beaux Arts, later cabbage·working with the Polish sculptor Piotr Kowalski. In Paris in May 1968 working on posters for the movement of workers and students. After he returned to Spain until 1972 who moves to Chicago, two years later set up residence in New York.
In New York where he became one of the pioneers of video installations·facilities and where he made much of his work that brings together sculptures and objects beginning shortly integrate video.
Between 1986 – 1988 lives in Berlin thanks to an academic exchange program of the German government. El 2001 returned to Catalonia where he continues to work.
He is curator and essayist in various publications and newspapers and was President of the Association of Visual Artists of Catalonia.
Here are some of the awards he has earned with his work, National Fine Arts Award of the Government of Catalonia for the best exhibition,1991 and the National Prize for Visual Arts retrospective at MACBA, From the beginning, 2009.
His work has been exhibited in museums around the world:
– Whitney Museum of American Art, Nova York.
– Museum of Modern Art, Nova York.
– Carnegie Institute Pittsburgh.
– Los Angeles Museum of Contemporary Art.
– Nationalgalerie, Berlin.
– Stedelijk Museum, Amsterdam.
– Rudolfinum, Prague.
– State Russian Museum, St. Petersburg.
– Massachusetts Institute of Technology, WITH, Cambridge, Mass..
– Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofía, Madrid.
– Guggenheim museum, Bilbao.
– Fundació Joan Miró.
– Valencian Institute of Modern Art IVAM, Valencia.
– Center d'Art Santa Monica, Barcelona.
– International Center of Photography, NY.
See the graphic work Francesc Torres Iturrioz